Captain Ultra

Want to see something? Do you see something we need to improve on? Place all suggestions here!
Kaiju
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by Kaiju » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 am

Bakamonster wrote:I've heard "One Step Beyond" was good. Sci Fi seems to be better when there's a nice healthy sense of fear going through the general populace. The 50's and 60's had Atomic Radiation and Alien Invasion fears to deal with, then the 70's had pollution and over-population to deal with. The 80's and 90's had the take over and subsequent enslavement by computers and technology.

Unfortunatly, now people are just mostly afraid of not getting the new I-Pad when it comes out...consumer frustration is poor material for SciFi and Tokusatsu.
Haha indeed. I am surely not a fan of almost everything that comes out anymore. No thought, no creativity, no anything to most of anything that comes out anymore, it's sad. I stick to the oldies.
Bakamonster
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by Bakamonster » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 am

Too much personal drama and blah, blah, blah-ing in today's average show. A guy can't even have a bowl of cornflakes in the morning now without it relating to some great childhood dilemma which sculpted his life in a way that can only relate to the moment he's living through now and needs to be discussed excessively with whoever else is on the set at the moment...in the old days the monster would leap out and get him before he tasted the sugar on those cornflakes.

It's like the characters all have ADD and can't live in the present.
harryumotust
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: Neo-Tokio

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by harryumotust » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:25 am

Bakamonster wrote:The 50's and 60's had Atomic Radiation and Alien Invasion fears to deal with, then the 70's had pollution and over-population to deal with. The 80's and 90's had the take over and subsequent enslavement by computers and technology.
Watch our Fireman Episode 01 again. The news reporters and scientist were talking about that the Earth was entering to the next ice age. The monster might have been related to this theory. That was the science of early 1970s, at least in Japan. I remember I read many magazines for boys with this type of featured stories. I guess the image below is taken from early 1970s boys magazine.
Image
Adults were afraid of ICBM and WW3 between the USSR and USA. Scientists and boys were afraid of the coming ice age.
We are living in the 21st Century now and nobody talks about the next ice age. Everyone is afraid of the global warming and security of personal information.
I don't know what the geoscientists back then were doing.

However, a few boys magazine articles made a good future prediction.
Image
We experienced huge Tsunami and are observing Japan's submersion.
Kaiju
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by Kaiju » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 am

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-mini-ice- ... t-15-years ...Submersion of Japan, interesting movie and TV series. And maybe not so far-fetched = pretty scary.
harryumotust
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: Neo-Tokio

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by harryumotust » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 am

I can't trust geoscientists' alerts anymore.
Bakamonster
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by Bakamonster » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 am

I remember the oncoming Ice Age and the threat of Nuclear War. We also had another great horror to fear in the US...Killer Bees.

The Killer Bees had been introduced into Mexico From Africa and were going to invade North America within 10 years. That was over 40 years ago and still no Killer Bees. Evidently they are being held off by tribes off Sasquatch.
harryumotust wrote:
Bakamonster wrote:The 50's and 60's had Atomic Radiation and Alien Invasion fears to deal with, then the 70's had pollution and over-population to deal with. The 80's and 90's had the take over and subsequent enslavement by computers and technology.
Watch our Fireman Episode 01 again. The news reporters and scientist were talking about that the Earth was entering to the next ice age. The monster might have been related to this theory. That was the science of early 1970s, at least in Japan. I remember I read many magazines for boys with this type of featured stories. I guess the image below is taken from early 1970s boys magazine.
http://i.imgsafe.org/a991ea1.jpg
Adults were afraid of ICBM and WW3 between the USSR and USA. Scientists and boys were afraid of the coming ice age.
We are living in the 21st Century now and nobody talks about the next ice age. Everyone is afraid of the global warming and security of personal information.
I don't know what the geoscientists back then were doing.

However, a few boys magazine articles made a good future prediction.
http://i.imgsafe.org/bc01031.jpg
We experienced huge Tsunami and are observing Japan's submersion.
Kaiju wrote:http://www.sciencealert.com/a-mini-ice- ... t-15-years ...Submersion of Japan, interesting movie and TV series. And maybe not so far-fetched = pretty scary.
Have you heard about Global Dimming? That's a pretty interesting phenomenon they don't talk about much.
harryumotust
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: Neo-Tokio

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by harryumotust » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:25 am

I have heard about the global dimming. It can be true but the words themselves are buzzwords in my opinion. I can't believe geoscientists.
To Japanese, Japanese Cedar Pollinosis is a more serious issue than new ice age, global warming and global dimming. The latter things might be buzzwords like Web2.0 but the hay fever from Japanese Cedar Pollinosis is a real thing.
Bakamonster
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by Bakamonster » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:56 am

Hay fever is bad here this year too. A lot of people are having difficulties breathing....it's got nothing to do with pollution of course or the plants being in overdrive for some reason.
harryumotust
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: Neo-Tokio

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by harryumotust » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Hay fever in Japan from cedar pollinosis has something to do with pollution, unfortunately.
After the WWII, the government suddenly started over-planting of cedar trees like crazy. They even made use of the Emperor in the national tree-planting ceremonies.
As the result they created postwar baby-boom generation of cedar trees. The grown-up cedar trees of that generation keep releasing pollen dust.
The government still cannot exterminate the exploded generation and its children because... they "have to" protect the domestic forestry industry.
It's a kind of pollution.
GVmanX
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:44 am

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by GVmanX » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:52 am

Weird.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say that this had been a great thread and I've learned some cool stuff. I'll have to check out this "One Step Beyond" show.
Bakamonster wrote:Too much personal drama and blah, blah, blah-ing in today's average show. A guy can't even have a bowl of cornflakes in the morning now without it relating to some great childhood dilemma which sculpted his life in a way that can only relate to the moment he's living through now and needs to be discussed excessively with whoever else is on the set at the moment...in the old days the monster would leap out and get him before he tasted the sugar on those cornflakes.

It's like the characters all have ADD and can't live in the present.
You know, I have to agree. I love personal dilemmas and character drama, but a lot of the folks writing and directing that stuff nowadays don't have a knack for it. It's really unfortunate, as a lot of folks lean waaaaaaaaaaaay too hard on the character drama stuff in the scifi works, thinking that whatever they're presenting is somehow engaging enough that it makes up for the crappy scifi plot that barely has any ideas going on at all in it. I know I shouldn't be shocked that something as bland as the Total Recall remake made it to theaters, but I am.
Post Reply