Captain Ultra

Want to see something? Do you see something we need to improve on? Place all suggestions here!
Bakamonster

Captain Ultra

Post by Bakamonster » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 pm

I'd like to see a couple of Captain Ultra episodes subbed. That show looks like it's got some cool stuff going on in it.

It seems to be spun from the same wheel as the early American Space Ranger shows, but a lot cooler. (Sorry their names escape me at the moment, all I can think of is "Rocky Jones" and Captain Video, there were a lot of others).

Just a suggestion, I know you guys are busy, but if anyone can translate it right, it's you guys....OK, there's my motivational speech for the day. :)
harryumotust

Re: Captain Ultra

Post by harryumotust » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 pm

It was obviously inspired by Captain Future. At least it was obvious to Japanese Sci-Fi fandom.
But maybe I am wrong as usual. I'm not an employee of Toei or the Walking Encyclopedia Japonica of Tokusatsu.
Kaiju

Post by Kaiju » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:35 am

I tend to look at Captain Ultra as the "Lost in Space" of Japan ...kinda sorta
Bakamonster

Post by Bakamonster » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:33 am

It's a little "Star Trek-ish" too with the alien second in command.
harryumotust

Post by harryumotust » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Yes, it resembles Star Trek. Maybe that was the trend of that era.
Captain Ultra was produced in 1967 and unfortunately, we were not able to watch Start Trek until its first TV airing in Japan, which was in 1979.
Probably everyone in the world was dreaming to become a boss on space aliens or roughly human shaped robots back then.
Bakamonster

Post by Bakamonster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:39 am

Japan didn't get Star Trek till 79' ? WOW!!!

Do you know when "The Outer Limits" aired there? I had heard it was a big influence on Ultra Q.
harryumotust

Post by harryumotust » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm

OMG my apologize. 1979 was my typo. Its airing in Japan was 1969. (The first season only, according to the Wikipedia.) Two years after Captain Ultra.
There is one factor which caused my typo. We didn't have many reruns. I became a Science Fiction fan when I was 12. I read about Start Trek on magazines. Back then Start Trek was already a kind of "legend" in Japanese Sci-Fi fandom. Most young (teenagers) fans had limited chances to watch Start Trek. I remember that I watched just two or three episodes on TV. I grew up in Tokyo. In other non-Tokyo areas, there might have been more chances of reruns. When the Start Trek Motion Picture was released, we were very excited.

Japanese Wikipedia says The Outer Limits was aired in Japan in 1964. (Two years before Ultra Q production.) To be honest I have never watched it on TV. Its chance of rerun was limited even more.
Speaking of which, I have never watched Ultra Q on TV. In mid 1980s I bought VHS video recorder/player (well, actually it was not VHS but Beta Max.) and watched rented Ultra Q.
Bakamonster

Post by Bakamonster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:03 pm

You should check out a few Outer Limits episodes if you can. They're all separate stories, but some of them are pretty far ahead of their time. I especially recommend, "The Architects of Fear", "The Galaxy Being" and "O.B.I.T.".
Kaiju

Post by Kaiju » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:12 am

Bakamonster wrote:You should check out a few Outer Limits episodes if you can. They're all separate stories, but some of them are pretty far ahead of their time. I especially recommend, "The Architects of Fear", "The Galaxy Being" and "O.B.I.T.".
Outer Limits is awesome, to bad it didn't have a longer run. Of course you cannot miss Zanti Misfits, the giant potato bugs with beards :shock: :o .....One Step Beyond is also a recommended viewing :D
Bakamonster

Post by Bakamonster » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 am

I've heard "One Step Beyond" was good. Sci Fi seems to be better when there's a nice healthy sense of fear going through the general populace. The 50's and 60's had Atomic Radiation and Alien Invasion fears to deal with, then the 70's had pollution and over-population to deal with. The 80's and 90's had the take over and subsequent enslavement by computers and technology.

Unfortunatly, now people are just mostly afraid of not getting the new I-Pad when it comes out...consumer frustration is poor material for SciFi and Tokusatsu.