Getting started on translations.

Here, There, Everywhere, discuss anything here
Ishmael

Getting started on translations.

Post by Ishmael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:45 am

How hard is it, exactly? I've been wondering, and while I'm not sure the translation differences between the television media and the print media are anything alike, you guys are the only acquaintances I have in the translation community.

Obviously, it's not as easy as just picking up a Japanese to English dictionary and going wild. If that were the case, we'd have many more quality releases.

I'm asking because I've gotten my hands on the entire run of Kamen Rider SPIRITS and Shin Kamen Rider SPIRITS, as well as one or two other (short) manga I'd like to see translated, and I'm seriously thinking of getting down on them myself so I can spread them to everyone else. I'm a little wary, though, because I'm looking at how long it takes some of the others, both in the fansubbing and scanslation community, and I'm wondering if it would be a massive headache.
Exodus

Re: Getting started on translations.

Post by Exodus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:49 am

Not only is it difficult.... It's DIFFICULT... even people fluent in the language have problems translating cause there are no direct words for things from Japanese to English... I've tried my hand at translating things... but found I was completely off. We had two people that translated Metalder for us... and later we found out it was a bit of a mess... translation wise... and that was the reason why we scrapped it... Good luck... workin' on it... if u choose to. I would hunt someone down though... who is fluent in Japanese... prb someone not in a group cause they are usually pretty busy.
Kaiju

Post by Kaiju » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:48 am

Doing manga may be a bit easier ? Just guessing here, because you would actually have the actual 'script' per say. Fansubbing is a bit different, as you have to do it by ear and even a native speaker, if you don't hear something clearly it can throw it into a bit of a spin and be "wrong". Having the manga you basically have the words there in front of you , so it's probably in a sense 'easier' I think. Maybe heh.
Ishmael

Post by Ishmael » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:12 pm

There is no way that a beginner like me (I spent two years on a base in Okinawa and only managed to pick up a handfull of words) could hope to even start on fansubbing, unless it was typesetting or timing or something. There's just too many accents and a lot of the actors speak strangely, depending on the role.

I do have a friend who can read Japanese, but she's not interested. Her niche is yuri manga, and she's got her hands full translating that for friends. (That, and English is a second language to her. Not that you'd ever guess it from reading her writing, but.) And, honestly, I'd like to avoid the big groups like Franky House and them because I KNOW they've gotta be swamped.

The trick, though, is finding a translator that isn't a part of a group. Most of the decent ones get snapped up pretty quickly, and I don't want to be stuck with the weeaboo who wants to say he read Japanese, but only knows a little because it's kewl, and girls think a second language is kawaii.