Demon Hunter 5

Hunting Demons all night long
Exodus

Demon Hunter 5

Post by Exodus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:58 am

Although I and my cohorts have been working on things... nothing has been released. So here is a release... have fun.
Fizzgig

Re: Demon Hunter 5

Post by Fizzgig » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Epic series! I read about this show years ago in the godawful (but damn useful) fanzine Oriental Cinema, and i wondered if i'd ever get to see it...

Thanks!
Kaiju

Post by Kaiju » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Yah , I love this show. As it combines two of my favorite things. Tokusatsu and stop-motion. Wicked :twisted:
scotta75

Post by scotta75 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:47 pm

This series is just plain awesome ninja running with funny little helmets a bad guy who looks like some burn up meat what else do you need in this series! I love this series and I have Exodus and Kaiju to thank for introducing me to Demon Hunter Mitsurugi!
"The heavens call...
The earth cries out...
The crowds roar...
All calling on me to strike back against evil.
Now listen up, villains!
I am the warrior of justice,
Kamen Rider Stronger!"
KamenRiderKnives

Post by KamenRiderKnives » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:32 pm

wow another great ep, lovin this show. Has anyone mentioned that Demon Scorpion seems to be the basis for the pre-transformation of Mum-Ra from Thundercats? Hes a dead ringer!

and once again the incidental music....amazing :D :D in particular the musical sequence about 3/4s of the way through, i love it it sound like some sort of tradition Japanese-Cowboy Disco!!! :lol: :D

thanks for the release
harryumotust

Post by harryumotust » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Mum-Ra... Yeah, looks likely. :D

What should I say...
Demon Scorpion is very similar to Japanese self-mummified Buddhist priests. (Sokushinbutsu)

http://www.sonic.net/~anomaly/japan/dbuddha.htm

I have seen a real Sokushinbutsu decades ago in my mother's hometown. Unforgettable.
The priest I saw became Sokushinbutsu in 1822 according to the temple manager.

By the way, I love Hanzo in this series. Mitsurugi siblings are always cruel and uncooperative to Hanzo...
Poor soul, I'm in your side, Hanzo.
And the sound effect of Hanzo's appearance is my favorite! (Vibraslap)
KKKAAAAA!
Exodus

Post by Exodus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

ThunderCats was done by Japanese animation artists... so even though it's an American product... It most certainly is at it's core Japanese anime. Cool show. It's too bad the dvd's are shit... I stopped grabbin' them some time ago.
xenorama

Post by xenorama » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:43 am

Godawful? wow, I love Oriental Cinema, contributed to it regularly in the 90s. nowhere else could you find a ton of great information along with a wide variety of topics, from China to Taiwan to India. Damon is a great guy and this was one of the earliest magazines ever devoted to Asian cinema.
Fizzgig

Post by Fizzgig » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Heh heh, sorry xenorama! I had a blast reading that magazine, but it was a love/hate thing for me. "Godawful" is maybe a bit strong, i admit.

OC was never exactly professional or slick in terms of the writing or presentation, plus the reviews could be hit and miss (i remember one which mentioned the supposed subject about twice, in between expressing discomfort over Happy Together and praising Baseketball... seriously not useful!).

Plus i sometimes got sick of reading tirades on how much Damon hated anime, how much he hated wirework, how much he hated anyone he considered trendy or pretentious (which seemed to be most people)... i spose it's matter of taste, but half the time i'd laugh at that stuff and the other half it grated on my nerves some.

Of course, it was THE magazine in terms of useful info like names of directors and actors, and a lot of the reviews were good even if they weren't pro quality. I guess i read some of yours if you contributed, so thanks bro!

Check out the "Mitsurugi Review" thread, i copied out Damon's review of Mitsurugi (one of his rant-free, useful ones!) from the "Giant Heroes" issue.