Demon Hunter Mitsurugi Review

Hunting Demons all night long
Fizzgig

Demon Hunter Mitsurugi Review

Postby Fizzgig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 pm

The following is a review from the fanzine/magazine Oriental Cinema, Vol. 3 #10 (The Giant Titans Issue), written by Damon Foster in 1995:

"Stop me if you've heard this one before: A Japanese TV show about a squad of humans attired in helmets who fight off monstrous invaders, with the help of a giant superhero who appears at the end of each episode. Another Ultra clone, right? Wrong! The setting is old Japan, and the script is kickin' with swordplay, ninjas and samurais! Our heroic giant, the automated samurai "Majin Hunter Mitsurugi", like the giant monsters he battles, is animated! We're not talking cartoons here, but but stop-motion, 3-dimensional models! Claymation fans take note! These brief inserts aren't up to Ray Harryhausen standards, but they're cool battles which make this action-packed program a one-of-a-kind thriller! The series's budget is low, and I don't know how our three human heroes (magical ninjas, ala Phantom Agents!) obtained motorcycle helmets which pre-date motorcycles themselves, but this exciting combination of fantasy and swordfighting galore makes this short-lived series absolutely outstanding!!! Creator: Takeo Nakamura. Writers: Susumi Takahisa, Masayuki Shimada, Toshiaki Matsushima. Directors: Keinnosuke Tsuchiya, Ichiro Harusuki. Music: Yukikazu Suzuki. Consisting of 12 episodes. Produced by Kokusai Films. Broadcast on Fuji TV from 1/7/73 - 7/31/73. Starring: Jo Mizuki. ***** - Damon Foster"

So there you have it! I quoted the review in its entirety, for historical interest and to capture a little of the craziness of Oriental Cinema. This is a pretty straightforward review for founder/editor/sometime-publisher Damon Foster. No swearing or bizarre off-topic rambling, and a five-star positive review was a rarity from him... he gave Hikari Sentai Maskman and Chojuu Sentai Liveman both two stars in the same issue!

I rediscovered this review leafing through old magazines at random a while after HnT started subbing the show, so since i joined the forum i thought i'd share it here, since an English-language review of Mitsurugi just has to be a rarity...
Kaiju

Re: Demon Hunter Mitsurugi Review

Postby Kaiju » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Yah I have a number of his issues of Oriental Cinema, up to somewhere in the teens. Not sure if he still puts any out even once in a blue-moon release or not. I even have a first couple of his releases when they were still paper folded stapled together fanzine heh. Before he got picked up by Draculina I think it was. It was definitely a cool source to discover any and all things weird asian tv/film. It makes me want to try and find out what box they're in and skim through and see anything that I may be able to find on the net now. It's been a few years since I thumbed through any.
rodak

Postby rodak » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 am

Thanks for the review,

So, yeah,really, where did they get those motorcycle helmets!?
Ahhhh,the motorcycle helmet, the only prop you'll ever need in the future or in the past.
gezora

Postby gezora » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:04 am

i smell a new syfy original movie

Return to “Demon Hunter Mitsurugi”